Monday, April 5, 2010

Scavenger Hunt for Gratitude


Sometimes you just have to look. The things I'm grateful for can be found hiding underneath everything I am certainly not thrilled about.

For example..
128. Time with my husband and daughter under a bright blue sky, breeze blowing gently.
129. Husband's friends who stick around when the going gets tough.
130. Friends who hand me boxes of free-range, organic chicken eggs, who fill up my tank when I'm not looking, and who hand me unexpected checks to get through stretching times.
131. Learning I can be satisfied and content with less, as my heart desires are even changing as well.

In other nooks, my joys are abundant...
132. In skinny vanilla latte creamer in my coffee to start the day.
133. Finding that "quiet crib time" has turned into a peaceful nap for my little gal.
134. An easter skirt from my sister, so my daughter can match her lovely little cousins in NY.
135. The slow emergence of a routine.

In some cases, so simple, it could be easy to overlook them...
136. Ceiling fans.
137. Red seedless grapes.
138. Valet garbage service.
139. Mustard and Mayo together on a turkey sandwich.
140. Elmo

I've been grumbling and complaining a lot lately. These sour little seeds are hard to dig out once so intentionally planted. As I sit and write I find for every gratitude, I can think of two things which annoy me or make me want to write my own diatribe against people, things, animals, life, air... you get the idea. So I will not lie and say "All is well!" nor will I be sour and shout "All happiness is a facade!"..instead, I look for the middle ground of acknowledging, coping and then living a full life.

"He is a [sane] man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head." - G.K. Chesterton. Tremendous Trifles, 1909


holy experience

3 comments:

  1. So true. I love them, and miss you more. You really are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post, both in content and in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I'm not sure of the etiquette about this, but I think you'd like this blog: http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/

    She deals with this sort of subject in her blog.

    ReplyDelete