Monday, December 7, 2009

Wandering


It's daunting, isn't it?

The unknowns, the tempests, the questions, the lessons to learn, the lessons to teach. I think I really believed someone was going to hand me a book that said "How to Do This Thing Called Life" when I turned, 18, 21, 25. But alas, it has yet to arrive. I often wonder how I'm supposed to know how to do things. The things that don't come natural. Like budgeting. Correction. Discipline. Saving. Faith. Believing that "this too shall pass".

Sometimes, being a wife and mom and girl feels like being lost in a giant forest at dusk. I keep looking for a light to guide me to safety, to security. Sometimes it's very small, and on the edge of darkness. But it's there.

I'm not really good at trust. I will most always choose isolation over the risk of feeling let down. Fear lurks in my peripheral and I wish he would go away. I remember the story of Much Afraid and her journey to escape the betrothal and misery of Craven Fear. It seems it took her forever to escape his clutches and surprise attacks.

It all sure is daunting.

And then I read this in my morning devotion:

"Jesus Christ is no security against storms, but He is perfect security in storms. He has never promised you an easy passage, only a safe landing."

Oh, set your sail to the heavenly gale,

And then, no matter what winds prevail,

No reef can wreck you, no calm delay;

No mist shall hinder, no storm shall stay;

Though far you wander and long you roam

Through salt sea sprays and o'er white sea foam,
No wind that can blow but shall speed you Home.

--Annie Johnson Flint

How quickly I forget.

1 comment:

  1. I already feel like I'm in that forest as a man and a husband too, and can only imagine how much more dense the trees will become as a father....

    I'm waiting for that book also.... =)

    ReplyDelete