Saturday, June 11, 2011

The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Some Saturdays creak along.

Like a ship coming into port.
Like a pot of water coming to boil.
Like the shower water at 5 a.m. on a January morning.

{Insert a continued series of metaphors about things that move slow and take longer than you anticipate.}

Some Saturdays just don't move much faster than a tractor chugging along a country road.

Today was such a day.

But we somehow salvaged it. I didn't *totally* lose my mind as the rain showered, and the toddler donned princess dresses and cowboy hats, and the chores seemed to finish themselves as yes, the rain poured on. So I had no choice but to just let it rain, and force summer to a screeching halt. I may have even hummed a Christmas song. (Lord help me.)

But I loved these things today:
Mugs that remind me of the ocean.
Wildflowers in a mason jar.
My mom who took the time to teach my daughter a child friendly way to use a needle and thread. She then crafted her own hoop masterpiece. (Masterpiece might be a stretch, but I love it.)


And then I sit back and smile at ideas that are finished. Like this flour sack turned pillows. Done.

So here's to an almost finished, slow Saturday. Happy weekending!

2 comments:

  1. i think we had the same day, friend. the same day. although mine didn't reach such a crafty, precious zenith. instead i watched whole seasons of shows and ate pancakes.

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. what was today's deal?? this saturday needed to go back for tweaking, or something... i would've preferred pancakes and tv. instead i had to wrestle tic tacs out of her hands at dinner & put up with that singing purple dinosaur. making things was my last ditch effort for sanity. :)

    ReplyDelete