Saturday, January 23, 2010

Aging


Coming up on a new birthday inevitably starts up the self-awareness cycle in me.

Where did I hope to be at this point in life? What haven't I accomplished?

And more importantly, what am I doing that's of worth right now?

I've been working on a surprise gift for someone I love dearly, and the process has been interesting. She's turning 16. I remember 16. I remember how long life felt. High School was everything. College was for the cool, older people. Marriage was frightening. Love was a dream. Parenting was a nightmare and 30 was still "old".

As I was digging through old photos for this gift, the memories caught me up.

Ireland ... twice
The Arctic
Turkey
Guatemala
Hong Kong
Graduations
Send offs
A bunch of weddings
A bunch of babies
My wedding
My baby

I may not have accomplished everything I imagined back at 16, but I've done some stuff. I've finished a few wishes. I've checked off a few items on my list. I can trace a wrinkle or two on my forehead. But the truth is, I am still young and I really hope I have a lot of life left for me. But so far, so good.. and hard.. and trying.. and beautiful.

"George Macdonald said, 'If you knew what God knows about death you would clap your listless hands', but instead I find old people in North America just buying this whole youth obsession. I think growing older is a wonderful privilege. I want to learn to glorify God in every stage of my life." — Elisabeth Elliot

0 comments:

Post a Comment