Monday, July 20, 2009

My Daily Choice


i have realized that life does not happen to me. rather, the majority of life is how I choose to respond to it. Never before have I been able to so identify so much with this quote from Charles Swindoll: Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it.

I've noticed there are certain responses that seem "normal" for my situation. Even expected. "Allowed." But I'm telling you right now, I chose otherwise. About four months ago, when the you-know-what hit the fan, I felt like I stood at a fork in the road. There was the easy one. The one that "felt good", the one that seemed justified.

And then there's the one I've been on for four months. This one isn't so easy. In fact, it's every day I have to remind myself of why I chose this one.

But it's why I can smile in the face of adversity. Why I don't use this platform as a bitter soapbox. Why I feel like people deserve forgiveness, grace, mercy and love... NO. MATTER. WHAT.

I have been forgiven. Accepted. Exonerated. Justified. Covered. Redeemed. Loved. All this in spite of my failures, betrayals, lies, sins. And I believe every person deserves the same. It is not as much my choice, as it is a requirement of being a recipient of such immeasurable gifts.

It's the unworthy who He finds worthy. I just hope my life, words, heart, attitude and choices reflect this.

4 comments: